- Temporary or permanent mental barriers.
- Limiting factors or outright distractions.
- Real invisible deterrents.
An unverified story of Jumbo, the excited, exuberant elephant further amplifies the message. Jumbo at an early age was strapped to a metal peg (secured firmly with a 5 meters radius) with ample room to roam, play and explore. As he grew he fought his anchor, each day, every night without fail. As he grew older, legend says he grew wiser and more accepting. In time, Jumbo was conditioned, the huge animal with untold strength but greatly limited.
Sadly, Jumbo never ventures outside the circumference of comfort. Be careful with those pointed fingers…they accuse you.
There are many of us, who dream and think BIG and suddenly get yanked to reality…that invisible rope ? I think so.
- Many dream of living victoriously in Christ, but harsh daily realities tug at the core of their souls.
- Those with aspirations of financial freedom barely start before the invisible poverty stricken mindset screams.
- Those who venture to ‘new grounds’ of living in good health (Divine healing in Christ – Isaiah 53) suddenly develop a system overload.
- How about the singles who conclude the ‘playa – dayz’ are over only to find the ‘temptations’ tugs further.
- Or the spouses who decide to breathe new life to stale relationships and old conflicts resume.
- Or you finally decide to volunteer and your ‘open’ calendar is suddenly unavailable.
JUMBO, each time the chain tugs, you have a choice – accept what is or break free in Jesus Name, Amen. This is what God said in His holy word (Isaiah 54:2)
"Clear lots of ground for your tents! Make your tents large. Spread out! Think big! Use plenty of rope, drive the tent pegs deep.
Let’s obey Him and break free…
Start getting ready for a new month.
I sincerely believe the endemic nature of ‘copy cats’ is a function of unclear purpose.
In life, business or any organization, a clear ‘purpose’ is the life source.
The absence of purpose is easy to identify or hear. For some it is in the ineffective babbling or mumbled tirade.
Purpose therefore is integral to life. For without it, people live as shadows or echos and sadly die ‘full’. Yes, die FULL of the gifts, abilities, capabilities and endowments that were innate from genesis. There is more to the accumulation of wealth, there is more to the pursuit of praise of men, there is more to life believe me there is and there must be.
A purposeful entity is a sight to behold, a dynamic, marvelous and effective power house. When seen in operation, it is authentic, relevant and useful.
As a pastor, I must start within…"The Church especially in the Diaspora" must do more than replicate it’s roots…she is a Hybrid, a rare breed. The Church in Diaspora must integrate, interact and empower her people to articulate the limitless power of God, the ever relevant gospel of Christ as well as engaging in community and city restoration whilst retaining her relevance to her roots. That is a noble assignment…and we can and must fulfil this mission.
You and I are on the precipice of a divine global movement. It is a restlessness of the soul. It can’t be satisfied with the mundane. It is the call of purpose…It is the call of a generation…It is a call from the deep.
Get ready to listen like Samuel…(stay tuned).
The Riverbank, Chicago
Don’t ask why ? Ask what can I do…
The Battered Women in the Chicago land area is on our radar this month at The Riverbank.
If you know anyone suffering in silence, reach out for help.
If you suspect anyone in need, speak up.
And don’t forget to pray for the hopeless.
Here are some astounding statistics that mandates an immediate action.
- 7% of women (3.9 million) are physically abused by their partners, and 37% (20.7 million) are verbally or emotionally abused.
- Every 9 seconds a woman is physically abused by her husband.
- 95% of assaults on spouses or ex-spouses are committed by men against women.
- 30% of women presenting with injuries to the emergency department had injuries caused by battering.
- From 7% to 26% of pregnant women are abused.
- 42% of murdered women are killed by their intimate partners.
- Within the last year, 7% of American women (3.9 million) who are married or living with someone as a couple were physically abused, and 37% (20.7 million) were verbally or emotionally abused by their spouse or partner. (The Commonwealth Fund, N.Y. 1991)
- Every 9 seconds a woman is physically abused by her husband. (The Commonwealth Fund, N.Y. 1991)
- The U.S. Department of Justice estimates that 95% of assaults on spouses or ex-spouses are committed by men against women. (Assessing Violent Couples, H. Douglas, Families in Society, 11/91)
- Domestic violence is a repetitive in nature: about 1 in 5 women victimized by their spouse or ex-spouse reported that they had been a victim of a series of at least 3 assaults in the last 6 months. (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 10/93)
- 30% of Women presenting with injuries to the emergency department were identified as having injuries caused by battering. (American Journal of Public Health, 1/89)
- Pregnancy is a risk factor. Several studies indicate a range of incidence from 17% to 26% of pregnant women. (Public Health Nursing, 9/87)
- 42% of murdered women are killed by their intimate partners. (FBI’s 88-91 Uniform Crime Reports)
We will be accepting women and children’s gently used clothing, books and toys. All Items will be received weekly on Sundays or can be picked up please call the church office (224-267-5844) or email the Care Team (care) for more information.
This is an opportunity to play a little role in changing and addressing the ailments in our society. Let’s shine our light of compassion and hope onto many alone, lonely, disappointed, tired, frail or frustrated. As we do so I am extremely confident we will come to understand God’s passion, love and mercy for humanity and I pray that burden engulfs us anew daily. Please forward to others at work and at home who are interested in making a difference and thank you in advance for your support, gift and prayers.
We are making a difference one soul at a time…
Light lit in light is useless.
If you have light you should find some darkness.
Do you know that illumination’s greatest expression is discovered in darkness. Precious ornaments are displayed beneath darker surfaces to maximize their value.
So let your light shine…no one cares how much you know but definitely care how much you love. We must have passion for our communities as untold joy is experienced when you open your hearts and give you invariably start the movement of grace and favor towards others in need funny how in time you find grace in your time of need.
This month join us in reaching out to our community in the Chicago land area.
The Riverbank’s FOCUS is on the ‘Battered Women’s Shelter’
Urban Family And Community Centers
4241 W Washington Blvd
Chicago, IL – 60624
Join us as we collect Women and children’s gently used clothing, books and toys. Items will be received weekly on Sundays or can be picked up if you call the church office.
This is an opportunity to play a little role in changing and addressing the ailments in our society today. As light, we must shine the light of compassion and hope to many who are either alone, lonely, disappointed, tired, frail or frustrated. I am extremely confident we will come to understand what God’s passion for humanity and I pray that burden engulfs us anew daily.
Please forward to others who might be interested and I pray for over whelming grace to you and yours in this new month in Jesus Name, Amen.