Don’t ask why ? Ask what can I do…
The Battered Women in the Chicago land area is on our radar this month at The Riverbank.
If you know anyone suffering in silence, reach out for help.
If you suspect anyone in need, speak up.
And don’t forget to pray for the hopeless.
Here are some astounding statistics that mandates an immediate action.
- 7% of women (3.9 million) are physically abused by their partners, and 37% (20.7 million) are verbally or emotionally abused.
- Every 9 seconds a woman is physically abused by her husband.
- 95% of assaults on spouses or ex-spouses are committed by men against women.
- 30% of women presenting with injuries to the emergency department had injuries caused by battering.
- From 7% to 26% of pregnant women are abused.
- 42% of murdered women are killed by their intimate partners.
- Within the last year, 7% of American women (3.9 million) who are married or living with someone as a couple were physically abused, and 37% (20.7 million) were verbally or emotionally abused by their spouse or partner. (The Commonwealth Fund, N.Y. 1991)
- Every 9 seconds a woman is physically abused by her husband. (The Commonwealth Fund, N.Y. 1991)
- The U.S. Department of Justice estimates that 95% of assaults on spouses or ex-spouses are committed by men against women. (Assessing Violent Couples, H. Douglas, Families in Society, 11/91)
- Domestic violence is a repetitive in nature: about 1 in 5 women victimized by their spouse or ex-spouse reported that they had been a victim of a series of at least 3 assaults in the last 6 months. (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 10/93)
- 30% of Women presenting with injuries to the emergency department were identified as having injuries caused by battering. (American Journal of Public Health, 1/89)
- Pregnancy is a risk factor. Several studies indicate a range of incidence from 17% to 26% of pregnant women. (Public Health Nursing, 9/87)
- 42% of murdered women are killed by their intimate partners. (FBI’s 88-91 Uniform Crime Reports)
We will be accepting women and children’s gently used clothing, books and toys. All Items will be received weekly on Sundays or can be picked up please call the church office (224-267-5844) or email the Care Team (care) for more information.
This is an opportunity to play a little role in changing and addressing the ailments in our society. Let’s shine our light of compassion and hope onto many alone, lonely, disappointed, tired, frail or frustrated. As we do so I am extremely confident we will come to understand God’s passion, love and mercy for humanity and I pray that burden engulfs us anew daily. Please forward to others at work and at home who are interested in making a difference and thank you in advance for your support, gift and prayers.
We are making a difference one soul at a time…