- "The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots.” – Thomas Jefferson
- "You must pay the price if you want to secure the blessing.” – Andrew Jackson
- For love of country, they accepted death.” – Jack Garfield
- “The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it.” – John F. Kennedy
- “I regret that I have but one life to give for my country.” – Nathan Hale
- “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains, and is immortal.” – Albert Pine
- “It is foolish and wrong to mourn men who died rather we should thank God that such men lived.” – Gen. George Patton
- John 15:13- There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
- “I pray that our heavenly father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." – Abraham Lincoln.
- A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself. – Joseph Campbell
photo credit: <ahref="http://www.flickr.com/photos/scfiasco/279818475/">SCFiasco</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">cc</a>